Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Went hiking yesterday, woke up early and had a 6 hours hike,

Customer Question
lots of dust from walking...
Went hiking yesterday, woke up early and had a 6 hours hike, lots of dust from walking that I can see that when I blew my nose yesterday, the yucky things that came pit is brownish cos of the dirt. May be I didn't drink enough water as well. I started to feel that my throat closed up yesterday night and woke up with a sore throat. The sore throat is still there but not too bad, I can eat and drink with no pain and saw this little white patch that looks like canker sore at my tonsil. Could it just be a viral infection or just because my body is dehydrated and the white patch will go away on its own? Or could it be viral infection? Please see picture.
I had a tonsil stone on the other side but I swab it out with a cotton bud.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

We do not diagnose, treat or replace a doctors visit.

We answer questions.

What I see in your picture is one ulceration on the tonsil.

Do you have a fever at all?

So you have any lumps in the neck?

I do not have any lump in the neck, no swollen lymph node as well. Feel a bit tender around the neck/ lymph node are tender. No fever.
I just feel a bit tired due to the long hike yesterday.

OK

You an only go by probabilities.

Chances of strep throat are 25% or less based on what you are saying.

The only way to be 100% sure is a rapid strep swab, takes 5 minutes to do, and any quick care, minute care, or urgent care can do it.

Not likely you need treatment if that test is negative, as it is likely viral, irritation, allergy , etc.

Quick exam and rapid strep,...

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

I see. Thank you.
So viral infection, allergy or irritation could cause that white ulcer as well, is that correct? Not only bacteria infection that would cause it.
Sorry, just want to put myself at ease in the meantime as I am on vacation in another city. So would want to do some home remedy to ease it before I go back home on Tuesday.

I would not recommend a home remedy.

I recommend a rapid strep now.

I gave you the percentage risk, which is significant.

Yes other things can cause the finding as well

'

a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician