DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Went hiking yesterday, woke up early and had a 6 hours hike,

Customer Question

Went hiking yesterday, woke up early and had a 6 hours hike, lots of dust from walking that I can see that when I blew my nose yesterday, the yucky things that came pit is brownish cos of the dirt. May be I didn't drink enough water as well. I started to feel that my throat closed up yesterday night and woke up with a sore throat. The sore throat is still there but not too bad, I can eat and drink with no pain and saw this little white patch that looks like canker sore at my tonsil. Could it just be a viral infection or just because my body is dehydrated and the white patch will go away on its own? Or could it be viral infection? Please see picture.
I had a tonsil stone on the other side but I swab it out with a cotton bud.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

We do not diagnose, treat or replace a doctors visit.

We answer questions.

What I see in your picture is one ulceration on the tonsil.

Do you have a fever at all?

So you have any lumps in the neck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have any lump in the neck, no swollen lymph node as well. Feel a bit tender around the neck/ lymph node are tender. No fever.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just feel a bit tired due to the long hike yesterday.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

You an only go by probabilities.

Chances of strep throat are 25% or less based on what you are saying.

The only way to be 100% sure is a rapid strep swab, takes 5 minutes to do, and any quick care, minute care, or urgent care can do it.

Not likely you need treatment if that test is negative, as it is likely viral, irritation, allergy , etc.

Quick exam and rapid strep,...

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see. Thank you.
So viral infection, allergy or irritation could cause that white ulcer as well, is that correct? Not only bacteria infection that would cause it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, just want to put myself at ease in the meantime as I am on vacation in another city. So would want to do some home remedy to ease it before I go back home on Tuesday.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

I would not recommend a home remedy.

I recommend a rapid strep now.

I gave you the percentage risk, which is significant.

Yes other things can cause the finding as well

'

a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.