Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Suddenly, an hour ago, I started getting a horrible stinging…

Customer Question
Suddenly, an hour ago, I...
Suddenly, an hour ago, I started getting a horrible stinging sensation in my upper forearm. It feels like a thousand bee stings. Deep, piercing, sharp. Intermittent but not regular. Every 5-10 seconds. So strong I have to stop and catch my breath. What could be causing this? How do I stop it?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Does it hurt to move your elbow?

Any chest pain or shortness of breath?

No, elbow doesn't hurt.
No chest pain, but arm pain does take my breath away.
Hello

I'm here

Just to check--any rash or change in skin color there?

I'm just asking if there's any change in the skin color there?

Not yet. It started about 30 minutes ago.
Feels like there will be a bruise. But nothing yet.

Did you have chickenpox as a child?

Where are you?
There is a long lag time.

OK

About the only thing that would cause this is shingles and you can only get that if you've had chickenpox in the past

The burning severe pain usually begins first and the characteristic rash may not occur for two days

For now you can try topical capsaicin cream and oral ibuprofen but you should have your doctor check this out since a prescription for acyclovir will help with this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Well, of course I will call my doctor. But it's Saturday afternoon here.

I understand

For now the capsaicin cream and the ibuprofen will help

It isn't absolutely necessary to get the acyclovir for this but it can shorten the entire duration of the condition