Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having sore breasts and a clear discharge from my

Customer Question
Hello I am having...

Hello I am having sore breasts and a clear discharge from my nipples. I started a new birth control 3 months ago and my breasts have been tender and nipples enlarged ever since, but with no discharge. I just finished my period and during that time i didnt experience any pain and my nipples returned to a normal size. Now that it is over they are sore and enlarged again with the addition of the clear liquid

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Im not sure what you mean by that my doctors have all my records

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I found a couple small lumps in my right breast a few days ago but the clinic doctor didnt seem too worried about them I have an appointment to look at them

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Birth control pills have estrogen and progestin. Their amounts vary from one brand to another.
Also they are synthetic and may have different molecular structure.
Your body may react differently as a result.
The breast symptoms are commonly experienced with birth control pill.
The fact that the symptoms go away suggests the benign or harmless nature.
How old are you?
Any family history of breast disease?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 24 and no history of any breast disease but i do have an uncle who was recently diagnosed with skin cancer

Ok
Your risk of any serious breast disease is very low.
The bumps are noticed are due to the hormone influence and nothing concerning.
These symptoms usually should improve over time and will be less apparent.
Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the sore breast and discharge isnt concerning? because it seems a little concerning to me like I just leave it and it will go away ? shouldnt I have antibiotics or somthing

Infection is unlikely since you do not have any fever or any swelling or redness of the breasts.
Hence antibiotic will not be helpful.
Soreness and nipple discharge are due to the estrogen influence.
That usually improves over time.
Anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen 600 mg every 8 hours can be tried for discomfort, if needed.
Best wishes