Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need an FDA approved appetite suppressant. I've been

Customer Question
I need an FDA...

I need an FDA approved appetite suppressant. I've been getting really bad hunger pains frequently and it makes me eat a lot and I'm gaining weight.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It's been going on for about a year. I was doing a net calorie restricted intake diet of 1200 calories per day along with exercising. I lost 15 pounds. I didn't change anything, then one day, things turned around and I started to gain weight back despite a daily net intake of 1200 calories. I started tweaking the diet to include more protein and still exercising and taking in a net of 1200 calorie diet. I was even eating veggie salads twice a day. Still gained weight. Then I hear about keto and adkins diets and started adding good fats and good proteins into my diet. I added tuna and hard boiled egg and olive oil and vinegar to my salads, but stopped with the calorie restriction. Still gaining weight. I tried also paleo and nutrisystem. I couldn't last a day on nutrisystems 1200 calorie diet. I got real bad hunger pains. I was doing good until the end of the day, then I got really bad hunger pains and went downstairs to the pantry and just kept eating anything I could in sight until I felt satisfied. Then I went back to my original 1200 calorie diet, still gaining weight. Now I'm lost after trying all of these diets. I'll eat lunch, feel satisfied, then a half hour I'm hungry again with really bad hunger pains. I can't get work done at work because I always have these hunger pains and can't focus on work until the hunger pains go away and I eat. I try not to eat so much, but the hunger pains are horrendous. The more I try not to think about food, the more I think of food and want to eat. I can't ignore this anymore. I have hunger pains all the time and I'm gaining more and more weight by the day.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a history of depression and am on effexor and venlafaxine. I take ambien at night to sleep. I sometimes run out of ambien and wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pains and have to go downstairs and eat. I also take claritan and astline nasal spray for allergies. Those are my only past medical history. I think I might be hitting peri-menopause, but I can't tell because I have an IUD in and haven't had periods since it was placed. I don't know if menopause is part of the problem. My doctor doesn't want me to take estrogen because of a strong family history of heart disease.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these hunger pains

how old are you?

caffeine is often used to decrease appetite.

Alli or orlistat is an over the counter weight loss agent

for prescription medication, you can ask your doctor for a prescription for Belviq or Contrave to help you loose weight

also get your thyroid hormone levels checked. low thyroid hormone levels can cause weight gain

get your blood androgen levels checked. polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause high androgen levels which can cause weight gain.

let me know if you have questions.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send an electronic prescription for Belviq or contrave to my pharmacy?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm 48 years old

we are not allowed to give out prescriptions to clients we can't see on the internet.

that is against medical laws.

we can't examine clients here online

and there is no way to keep medical records for patients which is a requirement to prescribing medications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. no problem. Thanks

you are welcome

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does contrave or belviq interact with venlafaxine or effexor?

there are small risks for drug interactions of both contrave and belviq with effexor

benzphetamine is another option which would not interact with effexor.