Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a history of diverticulitis. Yesterday a a few

Customer Question

Hi I have a history of diverticulitis. Yesterday a a few episodes of diarrhea and overwhelming fatigue and then this morning around one or two I story with horrible watery diarrhea not a lot of pain or cramping but just horrible diarrhea that just won't stop and a lot of gurgling in my stomach and belching with a foul taste is this something I should go to the ER for I hate to go there if it's just a regular stomach bug
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: That's what's interesting I have no pain and no real nausea I don't feel like eating of course but I'm not nauseated nor have I had any vomiting
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No that's really yet I've just been going with watery diarrhea there's nothing there just fluid and gas sediment in at least three times in our and it's hard to drink anything it just doesn't seem to set well No that's really yet I've just been going with watery diarrhea there's nothing there just fluid and gas sediment in at least three times in our and it's hard to drink anything it just doesn't seem to set well
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Since there is no blood in stool, no fever or significant stomach pain, the diarrhea is likely due to the viral infection.
Usually lasts about 24-48 hours.
You can try OTC loperamide 2 tabs every 6 hours as needed.
However, oral hydration is more important with fluids, soup, gatorade etc.
If you develop stomach pain or fever, then bacterial infection should be suspected and further evaluation required.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/