Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been getting a sharp pain in my left ear, i have

Customer Question

I have been getting a sharp pain in my left ear, i have gotten this pain like for the last 5 years,round the same time. Well this year i went back to our mash unit of a hospital that we have in our area. Its my left ear, but this time my whole left side of my neck and head hurt as well, if i comb my hair it hurts,but only on the left side. When i saw the doctor he said ear alittle red but not bad. So he gave me Doxycycl hyc 100mg. Every 12 hours i came home and that night my whole left side of neck i could not even move to lay on. Woke up today and pain is extremely bad.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

This is not an ear problem

It sounds like a disk problem in your neck with a nerve root compression

For now you can try topical capsaicin cream and heat and oral ibuprofen but you need to see your doctor for an MRI of your cervical spine and you need to get into physical therapy to help with this

Please let me know if you need any more information