Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a shoulder deposit that seems to fit either

Customer Question

I have a shoulder deposit that seems to fit either calcinosis cutis or osteoma cutis. I have been supplementing with 6000 units of Vitamin D (plus K2) per day. Is this a likely cause?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: I have not noticed any of those, but (at 75) I tend to fall asleep during the day quite often. I use coffee on any days that I must stay awake.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had a long-term sore on my shoulder (a few inches away from this new deposit) and another on my back.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: There has been no pain associated with the long-term sores, but the new deposit is causing the area to become very tender. It sometimes feels like a hard nail going down into my shoulder.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Vitamin D 6000 units a day is a high supplementation and can cause excess calcium retention in the body.
That can deposit causing calcinosis sometimes.
You should get your vitamin D , phosphate and calcium levels checked.
You do not need any supplementation if they are normal.
However, calcinosis can also be caused by chronic trauma, autoimmune disorder, chronic kidney disease as well.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.