Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My blood glucose is 538mg/dL & blood pressure is 204/120

My blood glucose is 538mg/dL...
My blood glucose is 538mg/dL & blood pressure is 204/120 took 11 units of Humalog ( type 2 )
JA: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?
Customer: My blood pressure has been high for last 2 mo.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have pulmonary fibrosis
7/29/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing, the elevated glucose levels and the high blood pressure are so high that they SHOULD be managed in a ER setting. The reason being that while you may be able to bring down the glucose levels with the use of Insulin but the high blood pressure clearly falls under the category of hypertensive urgency if not emergency. If you are also experiencing symptoms, such as the following,

• Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Sweating
  • Weakness or numbness in the limbs
  • Blurring of vision
  • Lightheadedness
  • Abdominal pain

Then you should IMMEDIATELY proceed to the ER as soon as possible. If you are not experiencing any symptoms whatsoever even then a visit to urgent care is indicated. At this blood pressure you do need an EKG especially since you are diabetic. many diabetics dont experience the typical symptoms of heart disease as the nerves of the heart are damaged and they may be experiencing silent heart disease and that is why in your case an EKG is EXTREMELY important. I would strongly recommend that you proceed to the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thank you - I didn't get your reply on my email until today
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor