Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a weird symptoms sometimes. My mouth was suddenly…

Customer Question
I have a weird...

I have a weird symptoms sometimes. My mouth was suddenly dried up and I felt like I was so thirsty as I was at the desert. It was so dry that I could drink a whole bottle of water and my tongue seemed to curve up inside my mouth. Could you please tell me what kind of problem I might be having??

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Not at all. Everything was fine. But it happened couple times in a week for no reasons

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am pretty healthy 45 yrs old male. Nothing wrong with me. Normal routine checked up annually with nothing

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Are you on any herbs or supplements?

How many such episodes have happened?

Were you anytimes anxious?

No anxious. I have been experienced several times a week for the past 3 weeks. I felt my mouth was so dry that I could not speak for a minute. Then I started drinking a whole 16.9fl.oz of water as I was thirsty for a while

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

In term of supplements. Only multi vitamins

Dry mouth is termed xerostomia. The causes can be;

1) fever raised body temperature, but usually this is perceptible.

2) dehydration,

3) anticholinergic drugs,

4) Mikulicz disease (leukemia infiltrates in salivary glands),

5) Sjögren syndrome; when salivary gland are affected by autoimmune disease,

6) antidepressants and other drugs

7) parotid gland infection (parotitis / mumps)

8) diabetes

9) anemia

Excessive thirst can be caused by following also (this may or may not accompany dry mouth);

1) Diabetes Mellitus

2) Diabetes insipidus

3) Medication like anticholinergics, demeclocycline, diuretics, phenothiazines

4) Infections

5) Psychogenic polydipsia.

Few causes need to be first investigated as your annual check ups had been normal;

a) Diabetes.

b) Salivary gland evaluation.

c) Low thyroid.

Nothing serious is anticipated by this symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.