Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My sister has a sharp shooting pain in her biceps and

Customer Question
My sister has a...

My sister has a sharp shooting pain in her biceps and radiates to the back and elbow.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

When she lays down or wakes up, she knows it is there, but it does not seem as bad as when she is moving around

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetic

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
7/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Waiting on reply

This pain can be due to;

1) Pinched nerves in neck; Physical therapy, neck brace and good body posture with acupuncture can help her.

2) Diabetic neuropathy; Gabapentin is drug of choice.

3) Deficiency of vitamin B 12; shots of B 12 would be required for treatment.

Following investigations should be done by her primary care physician or a neurologist;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain

3) Glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Following measures would be helpful for pinched nerves in neck, which is by far most common and which aggravates on movements;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

She may consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor