Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

16 yr old female. Has only had small episodes of diarrhea

Customer Question

16 yr old female. Has only had small episodes of diarrhea for a week. Abdomen in sore, no nausea or vomitting, very bloated. Gave 2 dulcolax tabs PO about 8 hours ago and gave bisacodyl suppository 2 hours ago with small results of diarrhea, non bloody and non dark/black. Active bowel sounds. Could this be a bowel obstruction? Pain is cramp like, 6 on scale 1 to 10. Is it ok to give another suppository? Should go to ER?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Discomfort on and off for 5 days. More tender right lower quad. In past hour ate popcorn and pain is worse which is also after suppository and 8 hours since laxative.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She has mitral valve prolapse with regurge
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

This does not sound like bowel obstruction since, bowel obstruction by definition is a condition in which the patient is unable to pass stool or flatus at all, there should be absolute constipation. If the patient has passing stool or flatus, then the criteria for bowel obstruction is not fulfilled.

This can however, be acute appendicitis or a syndrome known as Mittelschmerz syndrome, which is essentially mid cycle pain associated with ovulation. Other differentials like gastroenteritis, ovarian cyst etc. should also be considered.

Acute abdominal pain should not be managed at home and laxatives and suppositories should not be given as they may aggravate the cramping and the symptoms. So, the best course of action will be to go to an Urgent Care or the nearest ER.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.