How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65266
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Husband, age 79, is just recuperating from a bout of C.

Customer Question

My Husband, age 79, is just recuperating from a bout of C. Diff, his second round in a year. What can I give him to insure he does not have a future recurrence? He has ulcerative colitis and is on 5-Aminosalicylic acid for it.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, he is under a gastroenterologist care and is presently taking Prednisone and Vancomycin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He is a very quiet man, and keeps his "stresses" to himself. Has been treated for the ulcerative colitis for about 40 years. He also is taking a probiotic, 15 billion bio-active, and drinks a glass of Keifer when he thinks of it.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

He might try a strong probiotic, if his doctor agress with this.

50 billion good bacteria per pill.

Places such as whole foods chain stores have probiotics for men over 50: clear this with his doctor first.

If he keeps having recurrence, a fecal transplant would need to be considered. This has proven very effective to date.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.