How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46941
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having sudden cramps in my right leg after walking a

Customer Question

I am having sudden cramps in my right leg after walking a short distance. The varcoise veins in my foot seem more pronounced. I had knee replacement surgery on that leg two years ago. I am overweight. I flew on a plane a couple of weeks ago
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: There is some swelling but not that unusual
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I drink too much coffee and not enough water
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry you are having cramps in your legs

how old are you?

varicose veins can cause cramps.

low potassium, low magnesium levels, dehydration can cause cramps.

you should work on drinking less coffee and drinking more water and fluids and eating more vegetables which can get in more potassium in to your system.

you should see a doctor and get an ultrasound of your leg to check for DVT or deep venous thrombosis to check for blood clots causing these cramps.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am 53
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I was wondering if I should go to the hospital to get my leg checked. I am travelling so I'd prefer not to go to the hospital
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

you should drink more water and less coffee

you should work on stretching your calf muscles. do you know how to do calf muscle stretches.

you can elevate the leg and ice it down with a bag of ice which can help decrease swelling and pain

cutting down on your salt intake can help.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
Thanks for using