Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

December 2015 passed bloody mucus after passing out

Customer Question

December 2015 passed bloody mucus after passing out stools.doctor suggested sigmoidoscopy which showed nodules at rectalpart..it again happened some six months ago but I took it casually.
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: It repeated yesterday and today.nothing in stools but while washing red mucus was observed
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Eating too much fiber fruits and dairy products
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Having IBS from 2006
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that your rectal nodules may have flared up and that is causing you to bleed more than usual. It is possible that you could have developed a superimposed infection on them or you could have increase in the size of the nodules. Now these nodules are likely to be polyps which may be benign in nature. Usually if you start to experience more bleeding then a colonoscopy is indicated to determine the site of the bleeding. Usually if these are polyps the blood should be mixed in with the stool rather than be visible on wiping and since in your case it was more when you were wiping, that indicates tht you may have developed hemorrhoids along with the previously present nodules. Blood on wiping is commonly seen with hemorrhoids which can be diagnosed on a simple rectal examination and also with a proctoscopy. However a colonoscopy would be best here which would diagnose both the hemorrhoids as well as look at whether the nodules have worsened or not. I think the nodules are benign because if they were serious then they should have worsened significantly over the past 2 years and caused you MUCH MORE severe symptoms.

But given the recurrence of these symptoms i would advise having this evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.