DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I take 100mg of Zoloft. My new doctor charged me $300 for

Customer Question

I take 100mg of Zoloft. My new doctor charged me $300 for initial visit and when I went in today for a follow up to see how the Zoloft was working they wanted to charge me $197 for a f/u. Are there any other options for me to see a doctor and obtain a new rx and not have to pay such a high f/u visit?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes and I was prescribed Zoloft 100mg I've been taking it for about 8 weeks and I feel like a new person, so I know I need to continue taking this.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No other medications taken. I am 44 and no other medical issues.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Just omegas and daily multi vitamin. No allergies.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Are you paying out of pocket?

What is the situation exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Open enrollment isn't until the end of the year so my visits have been cash. Today I went in for a f/u and I couldn't see paying another $200 to tell her that Zoloft is fantastic and has helped me so much!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is I need to find a cheaper doctor who can prescribe the same rx I am currently taking.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

There are a few options.

Obviously, we are not a medical practice and can not refer you to a doctor. But there are things to do.

What type of doctor is this you are seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought you were a doctor?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Yes, I am a double board certified US doctor.

We answer questions on the site.

We do not treat or prescribe.

I assumed you needed help figuring out how to find a cheaper doctor.

If you are asking that, please answer my questions and I will help.

What type of doctor has been prescribing for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
General docotr
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
General Practioner just family foctor
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

So what city and state?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Modesto, CA
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

What you are up against paying out of pocket is that the doctor does not have to limit the charge to what the insurance company allows, and can bill a full customary charge.

Unfortunately, some doctors take advantage of this.

One option then, is to call other family doctors, tell their office the situation, and negotiate the price.

For that you need a reliable list.

Here is one

https://www.healthgrades.com/family-practice-directory/ca-california/modesto

OPTION 2. Call the health department and find out where the neighborhood clinics are. These will be on a sliding scale and you will pay based on your financial situation. That only helps you if you do not make a lot of money. But, fees are also more controlled.

OPTION 3. Call any teaching hospital and ask to be directed to their medical clinic. Enroll. This will also, like the neighborhood clinic, get controlled rates and sliding scale fees.

OK, so let me know if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.