Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Is stem cell treatment of joint injuries and arthritis for

Customer Question

is stem cell treatment of joint injuries and arthritis for real or a scam
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i have been receiving codizone shot every 3 months for 9 or 10 years.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This ankle was injured many time in my teens and twenties playing sports. When I reached my mid to late fifties running became impossible and now walking is painful.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: the pain has been increasing for years. as I said I began receiving codizone shots 10 years ago. for a week or so after the shot the pain is reduced. before i have a replacement, i would like to know if stem cell treatment has any benefit or is it just scam.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there are platelet rich plasma injections that orthopoedic doctors can do which are often called "stem cell" therapy

blood is drawn from your body and the platelet rich plasma can be injected back into your joints like knee or hip joints

the plasma will not grow new cartilage, but it can help with some cell repair and help decrease some inflammation.

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/treatments/Pages/Platelet-rich-Plasma-Injections.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4546066/

there are some good results which can come from platelet rich plasma injections for the ankle.

you can read more about it here.

let me know if you have other questions.