Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've been having severe headaches, and when i bend my neck

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: I've been having severe headaches, and when i bend my neck forward i have the sensation of water going up your nose, and head feeling pain. Right now whilst bending I felt the taste of blood in my mouth although I'm not bleeding I have shoulder and neck pain as well.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Daily for three weeks. No nausea but an upset stomach
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have low thyriod so i take levonthyroxine and I also have idiopathic angeodema
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Your symptoms (including abnormal sensations) are suggestive of as cervicogenic headache. This headache is caused by referred pain from the upper neck (cervical) joints. The headache is caused by neck movement or sustained awkward head positioning. So people who work long hours on computers are liable to have this kind of headache. Migraine and tension-type headache can be the other possibility.

Physical therapy is the preferred initial treatment for cervicogenic headache. The other modalities employed for the treatment are done by pain management physician and are invasive modalities. These are;

1) Deep electrotherapy

2) Steroid injection

Your physician may consider a trial of Gabapentin or Pregabalin as an initial medical treatment to see the response with the physical therapy.

You may need an MRI of the neck.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.