Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am taking cytoxan and rituxan for pulmonary fibrosis

Customer Question
thought to possibly be caused...
I am taking cytoxan and rituxan for pulmonary fibrosis thought to possibly be caused by RA in the lungs due to high RF. Hand xrays do not indicate RA in joints. My RF in January and May were 130 and 106 respectively. All other autoimmune testing has been normal. All other blood work has been normal for the most part. High RDW and aldolase slightly elevated. My c-reactive protein was 34.7 in May and 68.6 now in July, while normal is <8. My ESR was 47 then 49now with normal being 0-20. RF now is down to normal range. <30. Does anything come to mind to test for next? My muscles ache and have for years, weak and ache the more I use them. My biggest issues are I am on oxygen for PF and the muscles.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
7/26/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well you have RA and your muscles ache with raised aldolase. It could point towards myositis or muscle inflammation. At the same ti,e if you have been on steroids in the past ,prolonged use can lead to muscle breakdown and raised muscle enzymes. If you mean to ask about the muscle pains and relevant required further tests then i would suggest you to get a complete muscle enzymes panel which includes CK, & LDH . Muscle biopsy can be very handy in this regard. With your other autoimmune profile being unremarkable the pains could be a result of steroid use or vitamin D deficiency.

Using appropriate supplementation would be useful.

I hope it answered your query.

I hope it was useful.

Feel free to ask any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

I just thought it was weird the inflammatory markers increased while RF decreased. I see you say more muscle testing done? My last appointment with a rheumatologist wants an EMG done... would this help in this situation? I just know it will be painful and don't want to do it if their are other less painful tests that can be done. Also, would having edema cause c-reactive protein and sed rates to increase?

Inflammatory markers rise due to any possible inflammation in the body . RF is just related to RA so its possible that the markers are raised due to some other process going on with it e.g muscle issues.

Muscle enzymes if found elevated along with history of muscle aches means you would need EMG. Definitely it woukd help as its an even more specific muscle test.

Edema could be due to some underlying cause and if thats causing inflammatory markers to rise then its very much possible however just swelling alone would not explain a rise without any underlying cause.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor