Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I woke up in the middle of the night with severe left sided

Customer Question

I woke up in the middle of the night with severe left sided stomach pain. In the morning it's the whole stomach.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: Started just before bedtime but wasn't too bad till I woke up in the middle of night
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been told I have GERD. Concerned because it's localized on the left side
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have this left sided stomach pains.

the most common cause is excessive stomach acid causing gastritis inflammation of your stomach.

certain foods like spicy foods, large meals, alcohol, tomato sauces, fried foods, sodas, can worsen stomach acid production.

stomach acid reducers like zantac, prilosec, maalox, mylanta, often can help decrease stomach acid and help your symptoms right away

improving your diet over time can help as well

do you have any stomach acid reducers at home?

let me know if you have questions.