Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I want to ask a q re malaria and travel risk what will this

Customer Question

I want to ask a q re malaria and travel risk what will this cost?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Doctor's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: A question or travel risks and malaria
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I want to assess the risks of getting Malaria as I have been asked to spend a month in Ghana
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually if you are travelling to Ghana then there is a risk of contracting malaria while you are there and that is why it is recommended that you be started on malaria prophylaxis during your stay in that country. Now the strain of malaria in Ghana is resistant to the common driugs which would include chloroquine. That is why it is recommended that travellers be started on one of the following medications to prevent development of malaria. These include,

Atovaquone-proguanil,

doxycycline, or

mefloquine.

Now as to which drug you should be started on would depend on your physical state and several other factors, however here is a link which will give you more information regarding which drug can be used in your particular case. I think mefloquine is a good option here.

Link for drugs used to prevent malaria

In addition during your stay in Ghana you should ALSO implement the following measures,

• Use topical mosquito repellents at all times especially during the evening and night hours
  • Sleep under mosquito netting
  • Keep most of your body covered however if you cannot then use the topical repellents
  • Also use mosquito sprays or repellents in the room/house where you are staying

But in short regarding the risk, the CDC requires all travellers to Ghana be started on malarial prophylaxis which means that there is a real risk of acquring the diseases during your 4 week stay there however with the right prophylactic drugs and use of the above measures the risk is reduced to almost zero, if not zero completely.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/