DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My stomach is extended above the navel with lots of pain.

Customer Question

my stomach is extended above the navel with lots of pain. this has been happening regularly. I had a upper GI a year ago and have reflux disease, and diverticulosis. My PC thinks I have an ulcer even though it was not seen on the upper GI. She put me on omeprazole for past yr. but it's not working so she wants to try nexium but I have been hesitant to try it, worried of the side effects and changing suddenly to another medicine. I'm worried about the extended belly and the pain. How serious is this?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take synthroid, Arthritis Tylenp
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Tylenol, Xanax, sometimes Tramadol when arthritis is bad.Gamapentin when neuropathy is bad. I have 2 knee replacements and ankle replacement. Back pain-scoliosis. buldging and herniated disks, etc.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear this all

This distended stomach is most likely the result of a slow motility of the stomach and intestine

You need to take a pro kinetic agent like domperidone or metoclopramide

Switching to Nexium from omeprazole will not hurt you badly but chances are that you might feel better

With these medicines and the change in dietary habits like small meals, avoid junk, coffee , alcohol, and pain killers will be helpful

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you require any further clarification

If you are satisfied then do leave a POSITIVE RATING (preferably 5 stars) so that I may be credited for my work

Regards