DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am 45 yr old female 5'2 110lbs. I have suddenly since mid

Customer Question

I am 45 yr old female 5'2 110lbs. I have suddenly since mid feb. become extremely oily on my face and scalp only. I have been dry for the last 6 yrs and was never this oily even as a teen. It had caused acne and my hair strands seem to be diminishing in diameter with more hairloss than normal and fatigued. In Feb when all of this started I had stopped taking my 2.5 mg compound testosterone cream as I had a family emergency and could not get it filled for a few weeks. This is when everything started but I have no idea if it's related or not. I would have thought that not taking the cream would make me dry if anything. I had bw in April and a few weeks ago and things are in normal range but my last bw was showing very low end normal range for testosterone and free test. I have regular usually 28 day cycles. I'm not on any meds except multi vitamins and probiotic I eat pretty healthy drink nothing but water no drugs, alcohol or smoking ever. I have noticed muscle lose since not taking the test cream. I have been researching and it seems like an overproduction of dht but my levels of test are low. Could I be overproducing dht because my levels are now low? I have pics of my test results if you need them. Help
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My test levels a few weeks ago were testosterone serum 14 and free test 0.7 this was Day 20 of my cycle. April 25 be results were testosterone 42.1 and I didn't have a free test on that one. Those results were on day 16 of my cycle. I also have estrogen, progesterone and numerous other things tested also.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No medications and I saw my Gino and gp and no answers were given as what this could be just saying things are in normal range and obviously something is not right. I am like an oil slick and acne breakouts overnight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK, first of all why were you on testosterone cream?

Secondly, have you seen an endocrinologist recently.

Third, any recent hormone testing, if so please list all results and lab references.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was on testosterone cream for about 2 years for low test. I felt great the whole time never a problem. I have never seen an endocrinologist. I will upload my files that I have.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm trying to send files but I seem to be having problems
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe it's just slow
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Slow
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Next
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A few weeks ago all of these were done.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These were done on April 25 day 16 of my cycle the other ones were on day 20 if you need to know that.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

I do not see comprehensive hormone testing at all.

The testosterone might have been ok, but was a guess.

What type of doctor prescribed it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
General she does a lot of hormone replacement. I was feeling very fatigued 2 yrs ago and she said my test levels were on the low side and I did feel great in it and never had a problem.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My gyno doesn't believe in hormone replacement besides BC and I can't take BC anyway. She of course is new my old gyno moved.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is included in comprehensive testing? This is what the gyno ordered when I told her I was having problems.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not been on that test cream since I stopped it in Feb and that's when all of this started happening within a couple weeks. I never started it back.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Let me review your labs a little further

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For some reason I am overproducing oil I just can't understand why if my test levels are so low.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

As I suspected,this is minimal testing and no useful.

While the testosterone might have made you feel good I see no indication for it based on these tests.

What is your height and weight

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5'2 110 these levels were taken in April and July after stopping test in Feb.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These levels were taken last Sept and I felt great.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

OK

The situation is not definied hormonally.

I suggest you find an endocrinologist.

Everything on your testing is normal but you don't have more than estradiol, no cortisol testing, very important, no SHBG.....

All of this needs to be done.

Oilyness of the skin is not simply hormonal, diet, exercise, stress, all play in, including the type of bacteria in the gut and on the skin.

I would start with the endocrinologist.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What I did notice is that my test levels were lower this time and my progesterone higher than ever.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

They are in the normal range.

Without the testing I have mentioned, such fluctuations, in the normal range, are not useful.

Please don't forget a 5 rating on the scale, you have to click it for me to get full credit. Also, see my premium services offer.