Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have pains when I have sex(soreness, uncomfortable, and

Customer Question

I have pains when I have sex(soreness, uncomfortable, and more recently, it felt like I had a cut inside of my vagina). I was wondering if I could get any information on why I'm getting these pains.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I've started having this problem about 5ish months ago-off and on. I've been in good health lately
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: On the birth control pill, I've had very irregular periods in the past and an irregular shaped uterus
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now Dyspareunia or painful sexual intercourse can be due to a number of conditions. It depends on when you actually have the pain during sexual intercourse, for example, pain during engtry can be due to,

• Insufficient lubrication
  • Injury, trauma or irritation
  • Inflammation or an infection in the vagina or the cervix
  • Vaginismus which is an involuntary spasm of the muscles of the vaginal wall

If the pain occurs more during deep penetration then the following causes could be present,

• endometriosis
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease
  • Cystitis which is an infection of the bladder
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Past history of pelvic surgery
  • Irregularly shaped uterus

Sometimes the cause is more emotional than physical and itv can include,

• Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Stress

Now given the past history of irregular periods and also the history, it is possible that you could have endometriosis and it would be advisable that you do have this evaluated by getting a pelvic examination, ultrasound and urine tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/