DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Sorry but I lost what I was working on to send you. I will

Customer Question

Sorry but I lost what I was working on to send you. I will try again. I have decades of health problems. At first they thought it was fibromaylgia but subsequent blood work showed elevated CK-MM. Emgs, nerve conduction studies and multiple biopsies all come back inconclusive or unspecified myopathy. I have accepted this and have not pursued further testing for many years. I should also mention that in 2002 I had major abdominal surgery due to constant pain, nausea and obstructive biliary problems. Surgery did help as I ended up in the hospital for ascending cholengitist (spelling?) I had a cecal resection in 2009 due to colon cancer but am doing okay. Fast forward to July 2017. Was not feeling well so I went to patient first. Diagnosed me on a Wed with sinus infection and started taking amoxicillin. Went back 2 days later as things just were not getting better and my sinuses seemed okay. Blood work and urine tests were done. They showed uti and low wbc low rbc low hcbc. Contacted my primary as I never had low rbc. She ordered new tests several weeks after stopping antibiotics. Well test results just came back and low wbc is slightly over the min. Rbc is slightly lower than it was at patient first along with hemocrit and hcbc. My primary pa who I really trust is now out for 6 weeks. Should I be worried about these blood results? Thank you
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Doctor will figure it out. Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Other than the blood results not really. I will be 65 next month and have been dealing with the muscle issue over 20 years. I don't think that they are related but could they be?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Severe OA...bilateral knee replacement. Back surgery due to severe OA. Chronic constipation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

No you should not be worried.

Your WBC is in the normal range, and even if it were a little low, as an isolated finding it is not significant in almost all cases.

A slightly low RBC count, if the hemoglobin is normal, is also essentially a lab anomally and is not significant.

Simply have a CBC repeated at your next doctors visit. That should be all that is needed based on your information.

Check this with your primary care doctor who I believe will tell you the same. We do not replace your doctors visit or advise.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked back on the other blood tests. Mchc is a bit better. Hematocrit was 38.5 but is now 36.6. Hemoglobin was 12.5 and is now 12.0. Both minor changes but in opposite directions of norm. Only other out of range is neutro total which is lower 1.75. Does this change anything?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 months ago.

This is all in essentially the normal range for women.

If male, then the hemoglobin is low.

OTherwise, no, this does not change the answer.