Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have been on 75mg of venlafaxine for 5 years because of

Customer Question

I have been on 75mg of venlafaxine for 5 years because of hot flashes that increased with my arimidex, now off arimidex so I want to come off the venlafaxine, tried going every other day, severe dizziness
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Nope, no other medications just multivitamin
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Codeine, compazine, and bactrim
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just was given a clean bill of health for breast cancer after 5 years of arimidex
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Withdrawal of Venlafaxine(VFX)which is a SNRI can be quite problematic especially after taking it for along period.The drug is notorious as it is difficult tp withdraw,the tapering may take a few months if not longer and needs to be done under an experienced psychiatrist.Aridimix is the drug which causes hot flashes as its side effects.The VFX needs to be gradually reduced in dose,the timing needs to be managed by your Psychiatrist.The withdrawal symptoms are many ,they include confusion,anxiety,dizziness,anger,crying spells,panic attacks ,irritability,headache,fatigue and more.