Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a upper respiration infection, bad cough runny nose

hello JA: Hi. How can we...
hello
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a upper respiration infection
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: bad cough runny nose ithcy throat and a runny nose
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: 3 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: the last medication I was taking was my promethazine with codeine
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Are you having fever or body aches besides these symptoms?

Is there thick green phlegm in cough?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes,the symptoms you have described of bad cough, runny nose,itchy throat since last 3 days is most likely due to upper respiratory tract infection caused by viral infection.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within 5-7 days with no complications.

Following is recommended for you now:

• For symptomatic relief,take tab.NyQuil.It contains acetaminophen,dextromethorphan,doxylamine and pseudoephedrine that will provide you great relief from these symptoms.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription.
  • Keep a humidifier running in your room.
  • Use an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day.This will provide you dramatic relief.
  • To get relief from body aches/fever (if any) take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

All this will help you greatly to subside the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection (URTI).

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Can you prescribe me medication over the counter ?

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,you can take following medications from your counter:

All these medications are available at your counter without prescription & will help you greatly.

1. Tab.NyQuil 1-2 times
  2. Tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg once or twice a day
  3. Keep a humidifier running in your room.
  4. You need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).So I advice you to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help you greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I've tried that
The promethazine with codeine makes me feel better and also help me sleep

As it has been only 3 days of your upper respiratory tract infection, and usually it takes 5-7 days for a viral infection to clears up on its own with no complications.

if still after 7 days this the symptoms persists,only then you may need to be prescribed with antibiotics.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment .

Tab.Nyquil is very effective to subside these symptoms.

Also you can continue with promethazine with codeine for next 2-3 days till the viral infection runs its time period & your symptoms will subside.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor