Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 11 weeks will come on this monday (24th). I was wondering

Customer Question

Hello doctor,
My 11 weeks mark will come on this monday (24th). I was wondering if I can test for all STDs on Thursday (4 days short of 12 weeks)? Will my results be conclusive? Will 4 days make any difference? Or should I wait for complete 12 weeks? This waiting game is really bothering me. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well its recommended for testing to be done at minimum 12 weeks post exposure. Antibodies can develop at any stage / day following the exposure so even a day counts. Otherwise you might have to get a repeat test as it would not be called CONCLUSIVE.

hope you find it useful.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
after 12 weeks will all my STDs be conclusive?

Well it varies for different STDs. Sharing a useful link below;

http://www.thestdproject.com/std-testing-windows-when-to-get-tested-stds/

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello. The system says that you have requested a new expert.

The reality is that we do not know the impact of these 4 days. Studies have only been done at the 12 weeks mark. There is no study that compares 10 or 11 weeks to 12 weeks, and certainly no comparison of 11 weeks and 3 days to 12 weeks.

If someone is anxious, then we still recommend waiting the full 12 weeks, because we cannot reference any clinical data to say that a test at 11 weeks and 3 days is conclusive. So, getting tested 4 days early because you are bothered by the waiting game may relieve your anxiety about waiting, but there may then be anxiety because of uncertainty about whether the test is conclusive.

There certainly is not much difference between 11 weeks and 3 days, and there may not be any difference, but nobody can say with certainty.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it possible to turn positive in those 4 days?

Asking if it is possible that a test could turn positive in those 4 days is the same as asking whether there could be a difference between 11 weeks and 3 days and 12 weeks. Is it possible that there could be a difference between 11 weeks and 3 days and 12 weeks? Of course, it is possible. But as I said above, no studies have been done comparing 11 weeks and 3 days to 12 weeks. The only studies that have been done show that the test at 12 weeks is conclusive. So that is also all that can be said with certainty.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks. What is the rate of false positives with IGG Test?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks. What is the rate of false positives with IGG Test? Is it too high?

Which IgG test are you referencing?

Are you referring to the HSV2 IgG test?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both hsv 1&2 IGG Elisa test

The false positive rate for HSV IgG tests varies in studies from 25-50%. But in reality, it is very dependent upon the numeric index result. Any index over 1.1 is considered positive. But when there is a mild elevation (1.1-1.5), the false positive rate is over 80%. When there is an index of 2.0-2.5, the false positive rate is about 50%. If the index is >3.5, then false positives are unusual and a result >3.5 is consider reliable. These studies have been done on HSV2, but it is presumably similar for HSV1 testing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok but is it very common for false positives or is the test most reliable I.e. Very less false positives

If you consider an overall rate of 25-50% as very common, then yes.

I prefer to give actual numeric data, rather than using subjective terms, such as very common.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks doctor. I will get tested at 12 weeks and let you know my results. Hopefully it will be negative. Fingers crossed.

Very good.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fact that I did not have any symptoms till now and a negative test at 6 weeks says mostly I am negative? I know sometimes hsv is asymptotic. My exposure is unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. Just wondering what you think?

Yes, the absence of symptoms and a previous negative test says that you are most likely negative.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks sir.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello doctor, all my STDs came back negative. Can I consider them conclusive? Including hsv 1&2?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Yes, you can consider them as conclusive.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.