DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had Type II diabetes for several years and Neuropathy

Customer Question

I have had Type II diabetes for several years and Neuropathy in my legs. My A1C was high for several years but last measure was 6.5.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Wasn't through typing. :) I normally walk with a cane as I have a balance problem. I have fallen about once every two months. My legs are very weak and my calves are often cool/cold to the touch. I ride a stationary bike five times/week but it does not seem to be doing anything. My lower legs feel like they are in an "air cast". I have been taking B vitamins 3X daily for a couple of years and Alpha Lipoic Acid once daily.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 70 yrs old, 5'9', 235. Taking Propanolol and primidone for essential temors, Allupurinol for uric acid, 40 units of Insulin, 300 Invokana, 20 Atrostatin. My Dr just says I should exercise more to avoid falling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 months ago.

We answer questions on the site.

What is your specific question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is my leg weakness something more serious?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 months ago.

It can be.

Weakness, in fact, in the face of disc disease, can be a surgical emergency.

If you have not had an MRI of the lower spine and not had an EMG study, these need to be done.

If you are getting weaker you should be in the ER.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.