Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

In March I fell and broke my right wrist. A metal plate was

Customer Question

In March I fell and broke my right wrist. A metal plate was put in. The x-ray shows operation healing went great, but my hand and fingers are still quite swollen. What could cause this
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Since march
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: They are aware but not sure what is causing it. The pt person has me elevator my arm but it isn't helping
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are a few conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have a vascular insufficiency which can occur sometimes after surgeries of this sort. This can cause decreased blood to return from the veins into the heart leading to increased pressure inside the veins which in turn can cause the swelling. It would worsen atr the end of the day and would improve slightly with elevation of the limb. Another cause of this could be a problem with the arterial system. peripheral arterial disease can cause pain, numbness, tingling swelling, color change in the limbs and this occurs because of narrowing of the arteries. This can sometimes occur after surgeries as well and would be diagnosed with a doppler ultrasound of the arm and the hand. Both of the above conditions can be diagnosed with a doppler ultrasound and if necessary an arteriogram can also be done in severe cases.

Another cause of this could be associated with lymphatic damage caused by the surgery which would cause decreased drainage from the limbs and lead to significant swelling in the hand and the arm. This would need specialized compression bandages and also devices to improve the lyphatic flow.

If you have a picture of BOTH your hands i would be happy to take a look and see if the swelling can be due to any other cause. If you can do attach a picture here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/