Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer,
Experience:  Hospitalist Physcian (Internist) at Kent County Hospital
91318447

I was just playing basketball and about 20 min ago I was hit

Customer Question

I was just playing basketball and about 20 min ago I was hit in the chest very hard. With someone and their shoulder full speed...
it feels a little tight now and hot.Can I have a serious injury on a cardiovascular or dangerous level from a hard blow to the chest ??I have anxiety and was just wondering if there is anything dangerous to worry about from receiving a hard blow to the chest.Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Christopher Palmer replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Palmer. Is there area tender? Its more likely a bruise of the muscle. Did they hit your sternum?

Probably a muscle contusion. But if hard enough it can cause contusions of the heart or lung. But typically there is nothing to do unless you start to feel dramatically short of breath, lightheadedness, or coughing up blood. This would mean a real trauma, but unlikely something you experienced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seemed like his shoulder and upper body just hit my upper body with full force.
It really was just my whole. Hear area.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not short of breath really .
It feels like the area is all over warm more than anything.I was just wondering if a blow from another body to my chest could cause serious harm.
I'm also not that skinny or a person .

Any force to the chest has potential to cause different degrees of harm. But in your case probably a muscle contusion of your chest wall if he hit you there with a concentrated force.

Again, if you start feeling worsening chest pain and shortness of breath or cough with blood then you are talking contusion of the lung or heart tissue, but typically it requires a lot of force like a steering wheel to your chest in a car accident. I doubt you had this kind of injury. I would not worry

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what are the symptoms I should be on the watch for ?And I don't feel any worse symptoms from when it happened.
Would things have been worse by now !?!?

Yes. You will be just fine. If you would have had a major trauma you would have experienced symptoms by now.