Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

My nephew is a very high functioning autistic. He has

Customer Question

My nephew is a very high functioning autistic. He has trouble doing anything that's work (yard work, cleaning--anything). He's filthy (bathroom, kitchen, room, etc., yet he keeps his car clean and remembers all sorts of other things he wants to remember. It seems to me like he's capable of remembering and taking proper care of things because you see him do it elsewhere, but it seems like he's not doing them because he doesn't WANT to. How can I tell what he's really capable of doing, so I can be sure we're not going to easy on him. He's 32 years old, or so, and he wasn't diagnosed with autism until well into adulthood. He managed to survive and do what he needed to do, but he was afraid he was going to get punished before. I'm afraid we've gone the opposite direction, given him so much space and leway that now he's taking advantage of it, and he really does remember and can properly clean the bathroom, kitchen, etc. How can I tell what he's REALLY capable of and what he's not doing because he just doesn't want to? Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Autism is primarily an impairment of effective social skills and absent or impaired communication skills.

It is a neurodevelopmental disorder of early childhood.

Occasionally, people with autism have impulsiveness, hyperactivity, and inattention which is what your nephew might have.

I would recommend seeing his doctor to see if you can get him started on medication to help him concentrate and decrease his impulsiveness. Medications such as SSRI or ADHD medications are usually effect.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.