Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was prescribed doxycycline for bronchitis and it says I…

I was prescribed doxycycline...

I was prescribed doxycycline for bronchitis and it says I should not take magnesium while taking it. However, I took a probiotic about 6 hours after my dose of doxycycline that has magnesium sterate in it. Will this cause a problem with how the antibiotic works?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am taking an albuterol inhaler and the doxycycline daily right now. Other than that, I do not take any other medications. I am allergic to erythromycin, Bactrim, and nephedipine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/19/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

There is no concern here

you can take them together.

The magnesium in the probiotic is a minimal amount

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Ok. Thank you for your time.
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor