Medical

Ive just noticed my daughter has a protruding collar bone on…

Hello. Ive just noticed...

Hello. Ive just noticed my daughter has a protruding collar bone on the right side. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Protruding collar bone.

Doctor's Assistant:... Read full answer

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Protruding collar bone.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has an enlarged lympth node behind each ear. She also has just been referred to a dermatologist for livedo reticularis and dermagraphism

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

She recently had a blood test and she has high folate and low creatinine

7/19/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Any symptoms associated with this like tingling or numbness in right arm ? Any breathing issues or change in voice? How long have you noticed this ? Please mention her age

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is 9. Nearly 10. She's had breathing issues. The swelling behind right ear is more noticeable and has been there about 6 weeks. Ultrasound said swollen node but it hasn't gone down at all. She hasn't mentioned any tingling or numbness. She's had headaches, tummy aches. Every now and again she says a bit of sore throat but not swollen.No breathing issuesThe marks which the doctor said are livedo reticularis are only on her right leg and right arm. Slowly moving up her next and on her chest.Neck

Well actually there is a long list of causes for livedo reticularis alone so it will need some workup to investigate the exact cause. Most of the causes of LR include autoimmune conditions like SLE, PAN, vasculitides , collagen disorders etc. She has symptoms affecting different parts of her body so an underlying cause could be common to all of these.

A skin biopsy would help diagnose ,if there is an underlying cause present. Otherwise this is idiopathic i.e with no primary cause.

Any ear infections or discharge ? Sinusitis or recent upper respiratory infections?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No infections, no dischargeNothing else showed up in blood tests.

Is the lymph node soft, firm or hard ? Any idea about its size ? Any lumps anywhere else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's hard. one is 9x2 mm and other one is 1.4 x 7 mm. (From the ultrasound about 4 weeks ago). No lumps elsewhere. Doctor said nodes in neck were up too. But I'm not sure if still are. Just the right collar bone that looks like a lump or bigger on right side which I haven't noticed before.

Alright well she needs to get an x-ray on that bone or chest to see the extent and type of bony prominence. Hard lumps are linked with malignancies/ tumours ,but before going to far one has to start investigating from baselines.

An xray chest with skin biopsy should narrow down things for us.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could these things be linked?Would the dermatologist refer for a skin biopsy?

Its bit too premature as i said , ideally a few tests should be arranged if your doctor considers the bony prominence to be suspicious.

A chest x ray should be done to check for extent and origin of prominent collar bone. We need to observe the lymph nodes for progression for now . Your skin doctor should get a biopsy done to look for a cause of LR.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you.

You are welcome. Please do remember to leave a 5 stars rating to my work.

Wishing your daughter a healthy life

Kind regards.

Dr Saleem.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Sorry to bother you again. But I know this behind my
Hey man sorry to bother you again. But I know this behind my daughter's right ear the area looks a little bit more protruding than her left. Not sure if that's just a bone or a lymph node or something… read more
Doctor,
Been dealing with lower left abdomen pain and in belly
been dealing with lower left abdomen pain and in belly button and lower right but when pressing in on lower left feel a hard spot and have had some inflamed glands and swelling in bottom of legs and a… read more
Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer
DO
I have a few swollen lymphnodes. One behind my ear which I
I have a few swollen lymphnodes. One behind my ear which I think is normal because I believe it is smaller than .5 cm (it's about the size of a lentil) it has been there for 4 weeks or so. My doctor d… read more
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
DO
Stop searching for answers—
My daughter is 22 and she was saying that her shoulders hurt
my daughter is 22 and she was saying that her shoulders hurt and needing a massage then she touched her neck, a couple of fingers above her collar bone and found a lump … read more
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim
Doctor of Medicine
Just asking about swollen lymph nodes, I have had one
I have had one swollen lymph node under my jaw for a couple of years and i recently discovered another right below my ear lobe. I had a comprehensive metabolic panel a thyroid and auto homograph and everything seemed normal. But I'm still worried. … read more
Doctor,
My 6yr old daughter has a swollen lymph node behind her ear
Hi there. My 6yr old daughter has a swollen lymph node behind her ear that has been enlarged for a couple of months. Our primary recommends a biopsy, stay, and a referral to an ENT. Is this the standa… read more
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Physician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I was just checking some symtoms, my daughter who is 30 has
i was just checking some symtoms, my daughter who is 30 has a quarter size to Fifty cent size knot on her right seems like collar bone, dr said it was not a lymph node to far away for it, blood work g… read more
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Physician,
I was itching behind my ear and right in the crease about an
I was itching behind my ear and right in the crease about an inch down or so I thought I felt a small pime soni started to mess with it, but realized Its a small bone! I can also feel something simila… read more
Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Thanks for your insite you were dead on. I have ben
Thanks for your insite you were dead on. I have ben diagnosed with itp A cat scan has found a little enlargement of the lympth gland on the right side of my abdomen (cat scan) . No pain and doctor can… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I have had livedo reticularis for over a month. Amantadine
I have had livedo reticularis for over a month. Amantadine is the suspected cause and I wanted to know how long it will take before I notice any improvement if I will have it? I have what I call an ex… read more
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD
Senior Consultant, Radiodiagnosis,
MBBS.MD
My daughter has a hard mass straight across in line with her
my daughter has a hard mass straight across in line with her ears in the back of her head.… read more
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
My 17 year old daughter has a pretty substantial lump behind
My 17 year old daughter has a pretty substantial lump behind her ear. It has probably doubled in size over the past 2 weeks, size of a grape . She has also developed a small one in front of her ear. S… read more
Stop searching for answers—
My wife has had Bartholin cysts and skene cysts, and is now
My wife has had Bartholin cysts and skene cysts, and is now being treated for staff infection. Now it appears that she is getting cysts behind both ears. They appeared a few days ago and are now causi… read more
Dr Su S
Dr Su S
My daughter is 18 years old and use to be very athletic and
my daughter is 18 years old and use to be very athletic and run 2 miles everyday. Three months ago she stopped running and began sleeping a lot. she was diagnosed with "depression". after a month on a… read more
Doctor,
My daughter had a lymph node near her collar bone removed so
My daughter had a lymph node near her collar bone removed so that they could do a biopsy on it. The doctor said a blood vessel near the lump and several lymph nodes in the area were slightly enlarged.… read more
Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr
Consultant,
My lymph glands under my jaw, behind my ears and near my
My lymph glands under my jaw, behind my ears and near my collar bone have been permanently swollen for six months. I also have been getting sores on my face recurrently for the past year. Although I s… read more
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
I was diagnosed with mono on Nov.14,2009 & as of Dec.14,2009
I was diagnosed with mono on Nov.14,2009 & as of Dec.14,2009 had what the doctor thought was pleurisy in my chest & back (lungs) area, which I have healed from. Since Dec.20,2009 I've had 2 huge (1 on… read more
Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar
Hospitalist/ Internist,
I have a 10 year old daughter with 4 swollen Lymph nodes
I have a 10 year old daughter with 4 swollen Lymph nodes going from behind her and down the right side of her neck. They get larger as they go down the neck, with a smaller, harder one right behind he… read more
drknowsbest
drknowsbest