Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I cannot tolerate Statin drugs for my high cholesterol

I cannot tolerate Statin drugs for my high cholesterol problem. What other products would help me & not have all the side effects?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: No Heart Disease in the Family. I am 80 years old & in very good health. Very active , Biking, Tennis , & golf.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Have had to have my left carotid artery cleaned out about 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer.

It may take 4-5 minutes.

There are many other medications which can be employed instead of statins;

1) Colestipol (Colestid)

2) Cholestyramine (Prevalite)

3) Colesevelam (WelChol)

4) Ezetimibe (Zetia).

Following are the supplements which are known to help lower cholesterol;

1) Flaxseed

2) Garlic extract

3) Barley

4) Artichoke extract

5) Green tea extract

The cholesterol, triglycerides can also be controlled by the lifestyle approaches and dietary strategies. Following would be very helpful to lower them;

1) Dietary fiber; Soluble fiber is present in foods such as beans, oats, barley, and fruits and vegetables. This decreases absorption of cholesterol.

2) Phytosterols; Phytosterols are present in small amounts in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils. Numerous studies have shown that phytosterols lower LDL-Cholesterols. There are many products on the market that contain phytosterols for total- and LDL-C lowering. These products are orange juice, yogurt, margarine spreads, salad dressings, breads, cereals, milk, and granola bars. Phytosterols also are available in soft-gel pills.

3) Soy protein is the major component of soybeans and decreases triglycerides and cholesterol.

4) if one is over weight, just weight loss also reduces the cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

5) Physical activity; regular aerobic exercise is effective in reducing blood lipids and proven by many studies.

6) Alcohol; if one takes, limit it to 20-30 ml per day.

Following dietary pattern may be helpful;

1) Red meat in low frequency and amounts

2) Minimally processed seasonally fresh foods

3) Less than five eggs per week

4) An abundance of plant foods; fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds

5) Olive oil as the principal source of dietary fat

6) Fresh fruits as the typical daily dessert

7) Wine in low to moderate amounts.

So life style care measures, diet and supplements also would be able to lower your cholesterol.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.