Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm hypothyroid and had my surgery in March. I started on

Hi. I'm hypothyroid and had...
Hi. I'm hypothyroid and had my surgery in March. I started on synthroid and had terrible muscle pains. One month ago my doctor switched me to Levoxyl and 5mcg of cytomel. I felt a small improvement. Last week he raised the Levoxyl from 150 to 175. I woke up this morning pain free. Is that a coincidence?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: When he raised my synthroid from 125 to 137
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had thyroid cancer, sarcoidosis, breast cancer and melanomas 2
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/17/2017

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Do you know what your TSH level is?

It's either in the 1 or 2 range. That's why he's raising my dosage because he wants the tsh to be negative and then he might raise the cytomel
I prefer to wait for your answer and not speak on the phone
Dr. Chip, are you there?

The phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

No, not a coincidence--your muscle pains were from the hypothyroidism and the increase in the Levoxyl must have lowered your TSH level to the point where you no longer had those symptoms

Please let me know if you need any more information

I'm so happy you validated my instincts and perhaps I don't need to wake up tomorrow in fear that that the pain returned. It takes me an hour to get out of bed. Thank you so much and enjoy your day because you made me so happy.

Entirely my pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Where are the stars?
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor