Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can Avodart (Dutasteride) increase testosterone levels and

Customer Question

Can Avodart (Dutasteride) increase testosterone levels and help sexual function?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am taking Dutasteride three days a week for hair loss and it was prescribed to me by a doctor in Australia.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, just androgenic alopecia.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you!

No not at all. Actually certain organs only respond to DHT rather then testosterone. Avodart prevents conversion of testosterone to DHT and the patients very commonly report following side effects ;

• sexual problems (such as decreased sexual interest/ability, decrease in the amount of semen/sperm released during sex),
  • Impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection).

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have so far not experienced any sexual side effects and I've been taking Avodart for about a month now, so what're the chances of me experiencing sexual side effects in the future and if I do will they go away after I stop it, or should I be worried?

These side effects may appear in future however these are completely reversible with withdrawal of avodart.

Please do remember to reward credit for my work by clicking 5 stars.

Wishing you great health.

Kind regards.

Dr Saleem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Saleem, also is there any thing I can do to prevent such side effects from occurring and what else can I do improve my libido. Will certainly rate you.

No unfortunately when you block testosterone there isnt much you can do to help it.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested another expert.

The other expert is correct that Avodart does not increase testosterone levels.

Sexual side effects are infrequent, occurring in less than 10% of patients that take the drug. However, there is nothing that has been identified that can prevent the side effects. If side effects occur, then the only intervention that has been shown to help is stopping the drug. Side effects will resolve when the drug is stopped.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Love. Appreciate it.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please remember to provide a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do, though I had another doubt. Why do only some people experience sexual side effects from things like Avodart and Propecia, why don't all of them?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The rest can very well have normal lives while taking avodart but some experience side effects, just wanna know why!

It is the nature of all medicines. Side effects happen in only a minority of patient, but why they happen in some people and not others cannot be predicted. This is also true on the positive side of drugs. The desirable effects do not happen in 100% of people taking a drug, and why it does not work in some people cannot be predicted.

By studying a population of people, we can determine the percentage of people in whom it will work and the percentage of people that develop side effects, but we cannot predict how any single person will respond.

If we could predict the people in whom any drug does and does not work and the people in whom it does or does not have side effects, then we would only prescribe the drug to those people in whom it will work and not cause side effects, and we are never able to do that for any drug. It is not a unique situation for Avodart.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand. Than you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome.

Please provide a positive rating.