Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Fungus on the back of neck, leading to large inflamed

Customer Question
Fungus on the back of...
Fungus on the back of neck , leading to large inflamed pustules. I visited dermatologist and was prescribed antibiotics and ketoconazole along with a steroid solution. My neck is very dry and red now and while the treatment is working it is also creating more bumps . Idk what to do
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: It began this year with one or two small bumps I didn't think anything of it but when it didn't respond to regular acne treatment then that's when I went to the dermatologist....just tightness and the skin feels dry
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No no issues in medical history
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
7/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear jpg photo

kotoconazole can be very irritating to the skin

you may do better with a milder antifungal cream like clotrimazole1%

and taking diflucan (fluconizole)

I do have some damaged pigmentation on the back of the neck now due to these issues
to be honest this is weighing heavily on my happiness and has made me feel depressed

the back of your neck looks very read

that area is not a very common area to have a fungal infection.

the steroid cream may be what is helping the most

and can cause the skin more dry.

Should i continue my prescribed regimen I honestly don't know what to do anymore . I can't keep going through this .
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

The area of the neck appears inflamed and infected.Do you have serious acne problem as this appears to be neck acne and not fungal infection.This should be treated like body acne elsewhere,wear crew neck shirts with no collars to avoid rubbing against the neck.Do not rub or pick at the area,Use of Isotretinoin/Accutane orally for a few weeks, and local use of Glycolic acid 10% and benzoyl peroxide 2% application to the neck will help clear the area.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor