Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have been having pain in my sternum this week, and today

Customer Question

I have been having pain in my sternum this week, and today it is much worse. No matter how I lay, even sitting up- it is uncomfortable. I went to my PCP yesterday who said that it sounds like acid reflux, and to try nexium for a couple weeks. But he said at that point if it wasn't better then maybe it's a hiatal hernia. I can't wait 2 weeks. Today it hurts to breathe deep. Thoughts?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Since Monday night- more intensely today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've had a couple of c sections, but no other major trauma.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Substernal chest pain is cardiac until proven otherwise. Have you had a cardiac work up...EKG? CXR?Troponins? Stress test? Once that has been ruled out satisfactorily, you can move on to other possible causes such as GI (e.g. hiatal hernia, ulcer, esophageal spasm), pulmonary (e.g. pleurisy, pneumonia) or musculoskeletal (e.g. costochondritis, intercostal muscle strain, sternal fracture). If your pain has worsened, I would suggest you go into urgent care or express care and be evaluated again. The work up could include a chest CT if the doctors there wanted to get a quick look at what is going on inside the chest. It would provide some information about all these systems from chest to back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But this is down below my ribs, at my stomach.