Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I didnt wash hand after apply Voltaren gel on my foot and

Customer Question
Hi, I didnt wash hand...
Hi, I didnt wash hand after apply Voltaren gel on my foot and now my hands are tingling and having numbness
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Ok
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had ankle sprain, was using voltaren gel for that on physio prescription
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Ok,

Since when are these symptoms?

Do you have any symptoms on your foot?

Tingling n numbness in hands,
For four days
I stopped ising voltaren gel since then

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Stopped using *
I think i have overdose voltaren gel on my foot, foot is feeling better but hands have pain, tingling and numbness
Please help as I cant sleep

There are two of the possibilities which need to considered;

1) You may have allergy to Voltaren. You may try oral Benadryl tablet and cream on the hands. If this does not help you may need to look for the other cause. An overdose is quite unlikely to stay for 4 days

2) The other cause can be pinched nerves in neck which are causing numbness and tingling. This may be just coincidence that you applied voltaren.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

These are symptoms of pinched nerves;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pinched-nerve/symptoms-causes/dxc-20314356

what to do for pinched nerves
I mean what treatment for pinched nerves

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Acupuncture

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

It is privilege assisting you.

I m having these symptoms in both hands so both the nerves have pinched at one, how come?

Bilateral pinched nerves can occur.

Persistent reaction to Voltaren for 4 days is rare.

I m having some sort of neck pain as well, it has restrickted my neck movement

Hot fomentation, neck brace and physical therapy would be beneficial.

This further indicate it to be pinched nerves in neck.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor