Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have been having extreme chest pressure and extreme

Customer Question

Hi. I have been having extreme chest pressure and extreme shortness of breath. I went to the dr and they ruled out anything heart related but the contrast ct showed calcified mediastinal lymph nodes and an 8mm calcified granuloma. No pulmonary embolisms were present. Could this be causing my symptoms and what can I do about it. The symptoms started about 2 weeks ago and progressed over the first few days in severity until now it is to the point that I get very out of breath just walking around the house. Otherwise my bloodwork was great with an excellent lipid panel. I am 49 years old and weigh 180. Thank you so much. I know something is wrong and I don't know what to do next. What are calcified mediastinal lymph nodes?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Yes strong history of heart disease at a young age on both mother's and father's sides. They did an angiogram and said there was no blockage and an echocardiogram that showed no problems. Health generally good except my weight. I am off work in the summers but my job requires heavy lifting and lots of physical activity which hasn't been a problem.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My mother almost died from pulmonary embolism when she was 52.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

it sounds like you are worried about having a blood clot in your chest

you should get a pulmonary function test of your lungs by a pulmonologist

you can get a CT angiogram to check for blood clots in your lungs. this is rare, but if you are short of breath, that is one test to do.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I already had a ct angiogram and they found no blood clots. That's when they found calcified mediastinal lymph nodes and 8mm calcified granuloma. I have no idea what is wrong. I just know something is.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What are calcified mediastinal lymph nodes
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

severe anxiety symptoms can cause symptoms of shortness of breath.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No. I have never had a problem with anxiety. I am just a very laid back person by nature
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

you should see a pulmonary doctor and get a pulmonary function test

did you smoke cigarettes before?

what is your height and weight?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not a smoker or drinker. Never done drugs. 5'5" 180 lbs. Excellent lipid panel. Physically active.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What are calcified mediastinal lymph nodes and could they cause my symptoms
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

calcified mediastinal lymph nodes are common as we get older and would not be causing your symptoms.

your BMI is elevated with your height and weight.

this can cause more shortness of breath symptoms.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I realize that my bmi is high but I have been at this weight for several years and these symptoms are severe and of recent onset (2 weeks). My job requires heavy lifting and lots of physical activity which hasn't been a problem. This is something more than being overweight
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 days ago.

you could have new onset allergic asthma which can cause shortness of breath

a peak flow measure of your airways and bronchodilators can see if this is going on

asthma inhalers, steroids, allergy medications can help open up airways and help you breath better.