The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

What dosage does levodopa come & what is considered. Can you

Customer Question

What dosage does levodopa come & what is considered. Can you overdose on it. What are some signs of a overdose. Thanks
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Levodopa for Parkinson's plus several for different issues. Not allergic.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  The Physician replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com. I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question.

Levodopa is used in Parkinson's disease and restless leg syndrome. It comes as 500mg, 250mg and 100mg tablets

The use in Parkinson's disease may be titrated to individual effect in increments of 500mg- 750 mg every 3 to 7 days to a daily maximum of 8000 mg.

This because A dose of 8000 mg is usually not tolerated and may lead to a paradoxical dyskinesia .

A rebound episode of restless legs syndrome during the night can be managed with an additional dose of levodopa.

Symptoms of overdose are extensive, from hallucination to seizures and invariably severe dyskinesia that may lead to paralysis of respiratory muscles

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com.

Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close. If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know.