Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have an occipital bump that has been growing more and more

Customer Question

I have an occipital bump that has been growing more and more for the past 4 years
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Now in getting ridges behind my ears too
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: I've spontaneously burst out in rashes and itches 3 times in the past 2 years with seemingly no causw
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My grandmother had Hodgkin lymphoma and I know a rock hard swelling of behind the ear and occipital lymph nodes is a symptom
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have experienced chronic fatigue for a long time, and I often get involuntary shudders. I've also experienced COPD like symptoms but I think that is because I began smoking 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

How big is the occipital bump?

Could you please post a photo here of the bump?

What is your age?

What are the investigations done?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 19. I grow my hair out so it's not very visible in the picture, but it protrudes a half inch from the skull plate below it near where my hindbrain should connect to the spine and it protrudes a little less than that from the skull plate above it. The ridges I mentioned recently has divided my skull more I think.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have not done any investigations.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My father has expressed concern but my mom always played it off as just normal skull development. I would do the same until I began noticing growth and new abnormalities in my health

Is the swelling soft or hard?

Is the skin attached to it or it is attached to skull?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Swelling is hard and it and under the skin. I initially thought this was my occipital bone protrusion but I have not physically grown anywhere else recently and think it might be my lymph node.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your lump is unlikely to be due to lymphoma.

This can be;

1) Dermoid cyst

2) Benign bone growth like osteoblastoma.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you doctor,I'm a premed student here at UC Berkeley, so forgive me if I'm a little presumptuous here, especially in regards ***** *****Can a Dermoid Cyst happen after birth? From what I know they are present at birth usually.
What can cause benign bone growth?
Why can't it be lymphoma or a form fibrous dysplasia?
I understand it's unlikely to be lymphoma, but i do understand that hereditary factors can increase the likelihood of getting lymphoma, especially between the ages of 15 and 30, and I may have hereditary factors since my grandmother also had it.What explains the ridges forming behind my ears and involuntary shudders, chronic fatigue, spontaneous rashes, and itching?I know it could be a combination of a lot of factors, such as polycythaemia that could have been exacerbated by my smoking increasing hematocrit levels.I know it seems like I'm stochastically throwing out ideas and I should probably see a 3D doctor, but I just want to know why you think I shouldn't be too alarmed.