Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have been having pain in the area you'd expect an inguinal

Customer Question

Hi, I have been having pain in the area you'd expect an inguinal hernia to be, the pain radiates to iliac crest and down the leg of the same side. Just got bloodwork back and neutrophil percentage is low and lymphocytes are just slightly elevated. Definitely related to bowel issues like constipation making it worse. Not sure what to think
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Constipation makes it worse, enemas make it better. But sometimes when I start the enema I can feel fluid moving through and then I feel pain in the iliac crest or at the spot near my pubic area and inguinal ligament. There is sometimes a small bump and somtimes so painful if I contract abdominal wall, but it comes and goes depending on how much gas and or constipation I have
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm chronically ill with fatigue but no answers to the cause of that over the years. Bladder and vaginal ultrasounds were fine
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 days ago.

How long has this been going on? How often does it bother you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Since April. It has since gotten worse, but only during times when I'm terribly bloated/constipated. I went to the ER a month ago and they said it was from a UTI and taking antibiotics seemed to resolve the pain for a while, but then it came back and I don't have a UTI, though it still feels like I do.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Even today when I'm not really constipated the pain came and went through out the day
sometimes like lightning. Other times the pain is just localized to a spot near my inguinal ligament near my pubic bone.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 days ago.

Have you had a CT scan done? Colonoscopy?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They just did a CT scan on Tuesday but I don't know when someone can see me again to go over results. They said I couldn't have a colonoscopy done...costs and insurance and what not.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 days ago.

The CT resulsts should be very helpful. Pain that comes and goes like this, worse with constipation, is often from a spastic colon. If the CT is OK and it turns out this is what you have, there are treatments available.

Because it's not clear what causes spastic colon, treatment focuses on controlling signs and symptoms by decreasing stress and making changes in your diet and lifestyle. For instance, it's important to avoid foods that trigger your symptoms. It's also crucial to get enough exercise, drink plenty of fluids and get good sleep every night. If your problems are moderate or severe, your doctor may suggest medications.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 days ago.

Dietary changes include eliminating high-gas foods. If you have bothersome bloating or are passing considerable amounts of gas, your doctor may suggest that you cut out such items as carbonated beverages, vegetables — especially cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower — and raw fruits. Some individuals need to eliminate gluten as well. You migh also consider eliminating FODMAPs. Some people are sensitive to types of carbohydrates such as fructose, fructans, lactose and others, called FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols). FODMAPs are found in certain grains, vegetables, fruits and dairy products. You may be able to get relief on a strict low FODMAP diet and then reintroduce foods one at time to see how they affect your symptoms.