The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

I have had chronic pain in my lower back for years, sorry I

Customer Question

I have had chronic pain in my lower back for years,
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: sorry I did finish my question my doctor has in the past prescribed narco10/325 which helped through bad days and also med packs (steroids) for severe can't move episodes. It has been a year or more and he will not give prescription for the narco anymore I've never abused it and he knows this but still no scrip. How can someone with this kind of chronic pain get the meds that help in this current climate
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Was s a golfer but can't do that for the last 10 years also 50 pounds overweight
Category: Medical
Expert:  The Physician replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com. I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience. I am going to be your expert in this question.
There is a current revision on the management of chronic back pain by the American Pain Association, the Neurosurgeons and Orthopedic surgeons. Though you have never abused your medications, there is now extreme caution in prescribing these medications for chronic pain, especially if when the underlying condition is inflammatory.

The recommendation currently allows for individualization of these treatment as deemed necesary by your physician after full assessment of your diagnosis and risk: benefit of physiological and psychological dependence on these drugs.

There are fairly good alternatives, both in potency and side effects.

NSAIDs when combined with skeletal muscle relaxants are effective in managing flare ups

Discuss with your PCP to consider these alternatives

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com. Please remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close. If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know.