Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I am 73 and the top part of my leg and left side is numb,my

Customer Question

I am 73 and the top part of my leg and left side is numb,my uterus is protruding and I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy 8/18 could you offer an explanation for this or tell me what I should do?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: yes my legs swell sometimes and the leg aches and I have problems sleeping
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have glaucoma and high blood pressure and I am about 20 lb overweight
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 12 days ago.

Hi Patricia. Does the top part and side of your leg burn or tingle? How long have you had this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have had it for about a week and yes sometimes it tingles. It has been suggested that I have a lot of arthritis in my lower back and I could have pinched a nerve so I am taking steroids.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 days ago.

If it is the top and outside portion of the thigh that is affected, you may have a case of meralgia paresthetica. This is when the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve gets pinched and temporarily damaged. It often occurs when the abdomen is protruding out and causes pressure on the top part of the leg while sitting. If you can keep pressure off this area (by leaning back when you sit, for example), the nerve will typically heal within a few weeks to months.