Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am concerned about my daughter, but I don't want to alarm

Customer Question

I am concerned about my daughter, but I don't want to alarm her. She has developed what she calls a "hole" in the cheek of her bottom. She has also complained about being in a lot of pain around the hole, but in the rest of her body as well. She went to the doctor today. He said the hole is deeper than he would have thought just looking at it. Originally, we thought this might have been caused by a poorly administered steroid shot. But the doctor today said he thought that would have caused the problem closer to the time she received the shot in January. I know you shouldn't do this, but I looked up flesh eating bacteria. She has some of the things talked about. I certainly don't want to scare her, but I am concerned. It mentioned that people susceptible to this can have a weak immune system. I think she has that. It said it steroid treatments could make you more susceptible. As I said, she has had that. It said you could have it even if you don't have an open injury. And it said you would possible complain of a lot more pain than one would think by looking at the area affected. All of these things are true of her. The doctor has scheduled an MRI for Monday and said he was perplexed. He also said she was too young for an aneurysm, but thought he heard a pulse when checking her stomach. My concern is that if it is flesh eating bacteria, Monday is too long to wait. I know I must sound like a silly excitable woman, but I am concerned for my daughter and I don't usually get worked up about things.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: She has not experienced that. Just a lot of pain for no reason that can be seen for several days.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Did her doctor describe it as an ulcer? Is there surrounding redness or pus coming out of the hole?