Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a 1.5 cm lump below my jawline on the left side.

Customer Question

I have a 1.5 cm lump below my jawline on the left side. Found about it 1 week and a half ago. I have been having a "little" very MILD difficulty swallowing, like if I have a little bit of mucus in my throat, but a little bit though. It feels almost as if my mouth is dry. I also have a little bit of a white tongue, again really mild. The lump is not super soft or rock hard, just in between, it moves a lot a its not even visible i have to really pull it out to feel it. I am worried that is painless because there is serious conditions such as lymphoma or HIV. I already tested negative for HIV and had sexual intercourse with the same girl since 9 months now. Other thing is that the girl suffers a little bit from yeast infections which she uses meds for and get cured pretty quick. We have had unprotected oral sex, maybe it can be that? Any answer about this can be helpful. No fever, no itching, no night sweats, gained weight from the gym ( muscle), normal hunger, no fatigue, just this dry throat thing.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

If you are in good health otherwise, this may simply be an enlarged salivary gland or lymph node secondary to a mouth or throat infection. A white film on the tongue may indicate thrush, a yeast infection of the oral cavity. This can usually be easily treated with antifungal lozenges (e.g. mycelex troche) or antifungal oral rinse (e.g. nystatin).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its a mild white tongue, nothing to severe and definitely NO BLEEDING on mouth, so I do not know if that can be called yeast infection. How can discard lyphoma? I know that enlarged lymph nodes below the neck near the collar bone are a HUGE RED FLAG, but near the jaw if can be other things. Beside biopsy or scans, any other way to find out?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Thrush can be mild and not involve bleeding or sore throat, etc. And yet it can result in regional lymph node enlargement. If the cause is actually a virus (which can also get into the submandibular glands and impair saliva production), there is not much one can do other than wait it out and take motrin. If its a bacterial infection, antibiotics would be required. It is difficult to say without physical exam and basic blood test which one is present. Certainly most such infections are not serious. The best thing you can do at this point is to be examined and get a CBC (cell counts) to look for infection in the blood. You might also need a swab of the tongue or throat with culture. You can then find out the cause and get the appropriate treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hello. How did it go with your PCP? Did you get tested?

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be happy to help further.

If you have no more questions, please provide a positive rating. This is the only way I get credit for the time spent helping you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He prescribed 875 amoxicilin 10 days. its been 4 days and the lump has decreased more than half. Its softer and more movable. i will just keep taking my antibiotics for 10 days. i guess it was just an infection
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

That's a great antibiotic. It should wipe out any infections in the head and neck. Give the lump 3-4 weeks after completing the antibiotic. If it remains > 1cm in size, return to your doctor and ask for a biopsy just to be sure.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Our thread has closed, but it's not too late to do the right thing.

Hope all works out for the best. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com.