Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've been having bouts of diarrhea/loose bowels for the last

Customer Question

I've been having bouts of diarrhea/loose bowels for the last 3 months and occasional egg burps and constant gas. Could it be an infection?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: no loss of appetite, no fever, but lately I have had some swelling in my lips and chin on and off. And I noticed last night that I am kind of getting like a case of hives on my lower back
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: The swelling is sporadic. The first time it happened was about 3 weeks ago on my lower lip and I took benadryl within 2 days it was gone. Then a week later my upper lip swelled up for a day and a half. Then last week my whole chin area and jaw area numbed up and went away the next day
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am diabetic. I am a breast cancer survivor. I take medication for hypothyroidism, depression, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. I also take prilosec
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 11 days ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How long does the diarrhea last?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
a couple of days and actually almost every time I have a bowel

OK

This sounds like what's called an H pylori bacterial stomach infection

You could try oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day, but you should see your doctor for a screening for that since it's easily eradicated with a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information