DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm hearing a lot of great things about Metformin as an anti

Customer Question

I'm hearing a lot of great things about Metformin as an anti aging and way to improve overall health. I've read extensively about it online and wanted to know if this is factual. I'm interested in taking this if it's what it seems.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I discussed this with my doctor and he isn't aware of this information. I'm not on any meds.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I only take an aspirin and things to improve my overall health, like resveratrol and omega 3s.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks or this question. Actually metformin is a good drug FOR TREATMENT of certain conditions, yes there are some studies which have postulated on the THEORETICAL benefits of metformin in aging etc however those studies have NOT been able to conclusively prove that these effects actually do occur in human beings. This is a theory which needs scientific and clinical evidence to back up the claims. The reason being that metformin is a very old drug and it has been used for treatment of diabetes quite extensively and if it did have potential anti aging benefits it would have helped in diabetic patients in that regard to some extent, however that is not the case at the moment. So far all of these effects are theoretical at best, ***** ***** be used for anti aging in the future but at the moment its PROVEN uses are limited to diabetes, PCOS and a couple of other conditions. Secondly, it is NOT recommended that you use the metformin as a prophylactic in this regard simply because of the side effects, it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and an upset stomach quite commonly and it can lead to low blood glucose levels as well (Not commonly but it is possible IN patients with NORMAL blood glucose levels that is, in diabetics hypoglycemia is uncommon with metformin).

So in short it is NOT currently recommended to be used for the purpose of anti aging etc as the data regarding that particular use is still not complete.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, that's not what I'm hearing. There was a recent Wired article on the research and it seems like it's well overdue to be used in a healthy regimen to me. I'd like to pursue getting a prescription for it - how should I go about that? I don't currently have a primary care doctor.
This drug is not approved for this use by the FDA, if you are going to use it us going to be off label use and usually it will be prescribed by a doctor who is willing to take the risk of side etfects and adverse effects which can occur with it. You are basing your opinion on the basis of one article whereas in medicine we determine a drugs efficacy on a certain on the basis of reproducibility of those effects many times over. Metformin may be effective as an anti aging drug but it's extensive research before being actually considered for that purpose. I'm going to opt out and let another expert help you. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 months ago.

Hi

The other expert has opted out.

I am double board certified, US doctor, with training in internal medicine, anti ageing medicine, integrative medicine, etc.

The answers above are correct.

You question, as I understand it, at this point, is how to you get a prescription? Your doctor has to prescribe it, so you have to have a doctor.

You will need a holistic doctor

Would you like some reference lists?