Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Earlier today i went to get tested for 4th generation HIV

Earlier today i went to get tested for 4th generation HIV test. 3 days ago on Monday i went for HIV RNA test.
when i walked into the room and sat on the chair the nurse who draw my blood today was still busy writing the information on the tubes she draw from the patience before me. She was then organizing the tubes and moving them around with the other tubes on her desk.
when she finished that she started preparing to draw blood from me.
i noticed she didn't wash her hands or sanitize them before she felt my vein. She did put a new glove on one of her hands but she felt my vein with the hand she didn't wear the glove. I still have a little cut from the other test i took 3 days ago.
she then rubbed my arm with alcohol and inserted the needle and draw my blood.
My question is if there's any way the cut i have from the blood test taken 3 days ago wasn't completely heal and her hands were somehow dirty from being busy with the patient before me and the tubes could cause any germs HIV Hepatitis etc. to enter my body.
I'm really concern and cant stop thinking about it.Thank you!

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

I understand your concern. Anyone of us can get such thoughts. But the fact is that thoughts are just thoughts and not facts. What you are having is scary inaccurate thoughts that are causing you much worry that is unnecessary in this situation. You are at no risk for any infection and no germ will enter your body due to this. The cut you had 3 days ago would have healed by now and the body forms a clot that will prevent any germ from entering. Such procedures with similar aseptic precautions are done on millions of patients worldwide and not even one suffers any complications due to this. You can stop worrying about this.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Dear customer,

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i saw your answer, you did answer my question but i still have a lot of what if questions. the fact that she didn't wash her hands between me and the patient before me after touching all the tubes that are full of blood makes me terrified.
is it normal to do so? there is no risk by it?

Dear customer,

Thank you for acknowledging that I answered your question. You can always ask further follow up questions to clarify if any doubts arise.

She should have washed her hands; this is normally done and ideal. She did wear gloves and this is sufficient. This event should not terrify you even though it does appear scary. There is no risk of any infection due to this. You are safe from being infected because of this. No has ever got infected with HIV because of this.

Take care.

Thank you.